Monday, April 20, 2009

Writers Block Stimulator

Most everyone at one time or another goes blank while writing. My technique is to exercise--go for a walk or more likely get on my stationary bike and pedal. Perhaps this stimulates the blood flow to my brain or just removes me from the problem I'm facing in the book, but I often solve the issue while exercising in some way. The serious writer's block is the loss of creativity. This can last for long periods of time and can't be resolved pedalling a stationary bike for a half hour. So I'm really talking about those short blank moments when we don't know how to resolve a scene or create an amazing opening or devise grabbing dialogue.

A writer friend sent me a link to a site called 911 Writers Block. Though the examples are limited, I thought the tool was a great idea. The link is: Click here: 911 Writers Block

But the more interesting question is: What do you do when you go blank? When you can't decide how to resolve a scene? When your setting becomes dull? Please share your ideas with me in the comments section. You can also contact me through my website. I will enjoy sharing some of your ideas on this blog. Have fun with 911 Writers Block.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Timely topic, Gail.
This may sound funny, but when I am stuck I take a nap. Often, when I am quiet, and in that between world of sleep and wakefulness, my subconscious connects the dots for me on those tricky plot twists or loose threads. Sometimes I will even dream in the POV of my character and actually remember the scene when I wake up.
: )

Gail Gaymer Martin said...

Thanks for sharing, Kathleen. I have dreams but they're not the kinds of books I write. Mine are more like Stephen King's books. LOL

Gail

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Gail. I'm brand new to your blog. As an aspiring novelist, love all the great advice. There are four techniques I use to move beyond writer's block.
1. Pray
2. Walk
3. Laundry
4. Talk to myself.
Laundry is done. Too late to walk.
The other two are currently in play. Yes, I'm having moment.
Mary B. LOL

Gail Gaymer Martin said...

Mary - You gave mea chuckle. Yet prayer is a good thing for sure when it comes to writing.

Wishing you the best.
Gail